Agatha Christie Festival 2012 on Devon's English Riviera
PUBLISHED: 20:58 30 April 2012 | UPDATED: 21:20 20 February 2013
Devon's Agatha Christie Festival, 9th – 16th September 2012 is expected to be a runaway success following David Suchet's tweets that ITV will film the last 5 Poirot stories.
Every year, the English Riviera transforms itself into the murder mystery capital of Europe, with ladies and gentlemen in their period finery immersing themselves in a week-long round of tea parties, theatre, dinners on steam trains and vintage bus tours all for the annual week long Agatha Christie Festival.
Christie hit the headlines again recently following David Suchets tweets that ITV will film the last five Poirot stories over the next couple of years; and with interest riding high due to the Diamond Anniversary of Christies legendary long-running play The Mousetrapthe increasingly popular Agatha Christie Festival (9th 16th September) is expected to be a runaway success.
New events for 2012 include.
- Strychnine Ballroom vintage ball
- 21st century Christie: Publishing Christie to a modern audience. With David Brawn, head of publishing at HarperCollins (Christie publishers since 1926)
- Agatha Christies Greatest Work panel discussion with Mathew Prichard, Christies grandson
- Brand new Agatha Christie service at All Saints Church (site of her baptism)
- An audience with the cast and crew behind the official Agatha Christie Theatre Companys Murder on the Nile production
- Plenty of murder mysteries!
- One mile Agatha Christie Sea Swim in aid of the Devon Air Ambulance
- Garden parties to die for
- And copious amounts of Devon Cream Teas
Interest in the festival is now so great that the English Riviera Tourism Company has launched a new Agatha Christies Riviera website where visitors can now book their tickets online, plan their festival itinerary and chat to other fans worldwide on the new Agatha Christie Festival online forum.
The full festival programme is now available online at: http://www.agathachristiefestival.co.uk
Also new for 2012 is the launch of all year round Agatha Christie Short Breakswith a great selection of accommodation across the resort including:
Budget - The Westbrook, Torquay
Moderate Toorak Hotel, Torquay
Luxury - The Cary Arms, Babbacombe
Boutique - The Somerville, Torquay
Family The Torcroft, Torquay
Historic Palace Hotel, Babbacombe
Character The Quayside, Brixham
A full listing of English Riviera Accommodation can be found at www.englishriviera.co.uk.