Hot chocolate tart, lemon curd ice cream and salted caramel popcorn
Fri Nov 06 17:14:00 GMT 2015
- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: Chocolate
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- Chocolate tart pastry–
- 200g icing sugar
- 400g butter
- 3 large eggs
- 700g plain flour
- Chocolate tart filling-
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- 75g olive oil
- 70g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 6 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- Lemon curd icecream
- 1 litre milk
- 200ml double cream
- 60g milk powder
- 300g lemon juice
- 325g whole eggs
- 200g egg yolks
- 300g caster sugar
- Salted caramel popcorn
- 25g pop corn kernels
- 50g clarified butter
- 150g caster sugar
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- Other ingredients
- Chocolate crumble (optional)
For the pastry, start by creaming the butter and sugar together till pale, add the eggs and beat till smooth, add the flour and then mix until a smooth dough is formed, don’t overwork the pastry or it will affect the finished texture, wrap the pastry in cling film and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
Once rested roll out the pastry to 2mm thick and line 8 x 4inch tart moulds and then fill with parchment paper and baking beans and blind bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c for 12 minutes, remove the baking beans and return to the oven for a further 4 minutes till golden brown.
Once cooked allow to cool before trimming any excess pastry with a sharp knife, keep the cases till ready
For the ice cream, place the lemon juice, eggs, yolks and sugar in a pan and cook over a medium heat stirring all the time and cook until the mixture thickens and remove just before it reaches the boil, once cooked pass through a fine sieve .
In a pan bring the milk, milk powder and double cream to the boil, remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon curd, allow the mix to cool and then churn in an ice cream maker , and store in a plastic container till required.
For the pop corn in a pan place the clarified butter, heat the butter and add the popcorn kernels and continue heating until the kernels begin to pop, place a lid on the pan and remove from the heat and allow the kernels to continue popping.
In a separate pan add the sugar and begin to heat until a dark amber caramel is achieved (be careful not to burn the caramel) then remove from the stove and add the popcorn and stir immediately to coat each piece, add a sprinkle of salt and stir in , place the coated corn on a piece of greaseproof paper , and allow to cool and the caramel to harden
For the tart filling melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water, add the butter and incorporate, remove the bowl from the heat and add the olive oil and whisk in to emulsify, then add the flour and cocoa powder and mix in thoroughly,
In a separate bowl place the eggs and sugar and lightly whisk until pale, fold this into the chocolate mixture and mix together.
Pipe the filling into the tart case and place In preheated oven on 170°c for 7 minutes.
To serve place a tart on the plate, add a sprinkle of chocolate crumble (optional) a scoop of the lemon curd ice cream and top with some of the salted caramel popcorn.
Newsletter Sign Up
- Could you get all your Christmas food and drink from Devon producers?
- Exeter in winter: 10 great places to go
- 19 wonderful reasons to visit Devon this Christmas
- 5 things to do in Devon this weekend
- One reader’s Christmas message: “Cherish your marriage, nurture, love, and respect each other”
- 41 great Christmas gift ideas from Devon
- Toot in Plymouth: Restaurateur Edmond Davari tells us more about his latest venture
- Pantomimes and Christmas shows in Devon: 12 great performances to see
- WIN £250 to spend on your home and garden with Grand Illusions
- Famous Devonians quiz: How well do you know our celebrities and historical figures?