Recipe from Michael Caines: Curried carrot soup
PUBLISHED: 09:38 04 October 2018 | UPDATED: 09:38 04 October 2018
all rights reserved 2012
Check out Michael Caines' column in the latest issue of Devon Life where you can read more about what this recipe will be perfect with
Curried Carrot Soup
- 500g carrots - peeled and chopped small
- 150g onions - chopped
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic - peeled and lightly crushed
- 4gr cumin spice - whole
- 2gr Madras curry powder
- 300ml chicken stock
- 500ml water
- Bouquet garni (parsley stalks, coriander stalks, thyme, bay leaf bound with a piece of celery and leek, tied with string)
- Fresh coriander leaves
1) Sweat the onion, garlic and carrots in a saucepan with a pinch of salt, with no colour for five minutes.
2) Whilst sweating the vegetables place the cumin into a dry pan and toast.
3) Now add the toasted cumin and Madras curry powder to the vegetables and sweat for a further two minutes.
4) Add the chicken stock, water and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil and add a little salt.
5) Reduce to a simmer and leave to cook slowly for 30 minutes.
6) Now place into a blender and blend to a fine puree, pass through a sieve and the return to a clean pan, adjust seasoning and serve with some freshly chopped coriander leaves.