Michael Caines recipe: Braised short ribs Texan style
PUBLISHED: 13:25 02 October 2019
To supplement his monthly column, Devon's celebrity chef Michael Caines has provided this American-inspired ribs recipe
Specialist equipment; Big Green Egg/Kamado grill and hickory smoking pellets
Preparation and cooking time: 6/7 hours
- 1.6kg short ribs
- 160g salt
- 1tsp cumin seeds ground
- 1tsp sea salt flakes
- 1tsp mustard powder ground
- 1tsp black pepper ground
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 50ml chicken stock or beef stock
Texan BBQ Glaze
- 125g tomato sauce
- 55g brown sauce
- 1 tablespoon American mustard
- 1 tablespoon
- 3tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp ground paprika
- First you will need to salt the short ribs - take a large tray and then place the ribs within flesh side up and then sprinkle with salt evenly. Cling film and place into the fridge for two hours.
- Now remove and wash off the salt, pat dry. Mix together all the dry ingredients for the rub and sprinkle evenly on top of the meat.
- Line a roasting tray with double layer of baking foil and the add the chicken stock, fold over the baking foil and seal well.
- Place into a pre-heated over 180°c for two hours and then remove and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the rib is braising, light your grill one hour before the end of the braising stage.
- Remove the ribs from the baking foil and now place in to a fresh couple lines baking foil but this time you won't be covering the meat.
- Before you place the meat onto the griddle, add two hickory pellets to the coals, now place the grill back and then place into this the ribs, cook for one hour with the lid closed and regulate the heat to 200°c.
Texan BBQ Glaze
- Whilst the ribs are grilling, place all of the ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to the boil.
- After one hour of braising using a pasty brush, brush onto the beef rib the Texan BBQ Glaze, close the lid and continue to cook for a further hour until the meat is tender.
- To check if the meat is cooked, take a thermometer and place into the meat in between the bones and if it reads 200°c then its ready.
- Remove and leave to stand for 30 minutes in a warm place before slicing and serving.