- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: cabbage
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 500g red cabbage
- 3 echalion shallots
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- Knob of salted butter
- 2 clementines
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp Streamline black cherry jam
- Salt and black pepper
Finely slice the cabbage, shallots and apples. In a large casserole, heat the butter then tip in the sliced cabbage, shallots and apples and toss well. Add the zest and juice of one clementine, stud the other clementine with cloves and add it to the pan along with the cinnamon, mixed spice, vinegar and black cherry jam. Season, stir and put the lid on.
Cook on a low heat for an hour until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets a little dry, add a dash of water. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Great with ham, cold meats and cheese as well as alongside a traditional roast.
Newsletter Sign Up
- WIN a hamper of Devon food & drink delights worth £500 from Fast Track to Growth businesses
- WIN a stay at Orestone Manor with dinner, bed and breakfast
- Secret beaches in North Devon: 8 amazing secluded spots
- Author Anne Allen tells us why she loves writing in Devon
- Why has lure fishing for sea bass become so popular in Devon?
- 5 things to do in Devon this weekend
- Should you get thermodynamic solar panels to heat the water in your home?
- 24 hours in Sidmouth: A town guide
- 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon
- What is life like for residents at Fig Tree Court in Tiverton?