- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: cabbage
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 500g red cabbage
- 3 echalion shallots
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- Knob of salted butter
- 2 clementines
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp Streamline black cherry jam
- Salt and black pepper
Finely slice the cabbage, shallots and apples. In a large casserole, heat the butter then tip in the sliced cabbage, shallots and apples and toss well. Add the zest and juice of one clementine, stud the other clementine with cloves and add it to the pan along with the cinnamon, mixed spice, vinegar and black cherry jam. Season, stir and put the lid on.
Cook on a low heat for an hour until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets a little dry, add a dash of water. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Great with ham, cold meats and cheese as well as alongside a traditional roast.
Newsletter Sign Up
- 5 things to do in Devon this weekend
- WIN a Naturalmat wool duvet & pillow collection worth £225!
- 13 of the greatest Devonians: Our most famous historical figures
- How did Beer become a finalist in the Village of the Year 2018 contest?
- 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- Devon Life Food & Drink Awards 2018: Nominations are now open
- QUIZ: Devon’s film connections
- The history of Camper Coffee, Devon’s favourite mobile coffee shop
- When Winston Churchill came for tea in Stoke Canon
- 12 boho clothing items to purchase this summer