Recipe: Lemon Squares from The Surf Cafe Cook Book
Mon Dec 14 18:22:00 GMT 2015
- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: lemon
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- Shells Cafe Lemon Squares (makes 8-10)
280g plain flour, plus an extra 50g
80g icing sugar1 teaspoon salt
225g unsalted butter
4 free range eggs
Juice of four lemons
2 teaspoons lemon zest (TIP: Zest the lemon before you squeeze them!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Icing sugar to finish
The Surf Cafe Cook Book is full of cool recipes, collected by surfers, like this sweet and gooey lemon squares cake. Keen surfer Shannon Denny (one-time Living South editor) helped develop the book...
Heat the oven to 170◦C.
Start with the shortbread base. Combine the 280g of flour, icing sugar, salt and cold butter in a food processor; mix until crumbly. If you haven’t got a food processor, then cut the butter up with two knives. (iIf you use your hands, it would warm the butter and you want to keep it cold.)
Mix just until the dough forms a ball.
Press the dough into a 30 x 20cm baking tin lined with baking paper.
Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and set, then leave to cool slightly while you get on with the topping.
Beat the eggs. Add the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, sift together the remaining 50g flour and the baking powder. Add to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Spread onto the cooled shortbread crust and return to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set.
Cool completely in the tin. Sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into squares. These keep really well, but make sure to store them in an air-tight container. We think they’re actually better the next day, as the flavours really develop!
Newsletter Sign Up
- 5 things to do in Devon this weekend
- WIN a Naturalmat wool duvet & pillow collection worth £225!
- 13 of the greatest Devonians: Our most famous historical figures
- How did Beer become a finalist in the Village of the Year 2018 contest?
- 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- Devon Life Food & Drink Awards 2018: Nominations are now open
- QUIZ: Devon’s film connections
- The history of Camper Coffee, Devon’s favourite mobile coffee shop
- When Winston Churchill came for tea in Stoke Canon
- 12 boho clothing items to purchase this summer